Time-line of Stepney, CT

Stepney, Connecticut

1801

The Bridgeport-Newtown Turnpike, a toll road, opens — the forerunner of the present Route 25.

1817

The one-acre Parade ground “Birdsey’s Plain/Stepney Green” is purchased for $140 by the Birdsey’s Plain Rifle Company.

1823

The parish of New Stratford becomes a separate town named Monroe.  The town is named for the popular President James Monroe.

1833

Monroe and Newtown Turnpike opens, connecting Stepney to Danbury via Hattertown Road.

1839

The first of the twin churches on the Stepney Green — Methodist-Episcopal church is dedicated.

1840

The Housatonic Railroad arrives in Stepney, ushering in industry and a new era.

1848

The second of the twin churches — the Baptist Meetinghouse — is dedicated.

1850

Monroe establishes 7 school districts:

Save Our Stepney Online
Save Our Stepney Online
Hawley House National Registry Marker