Welcome to the Save Our Stepney
Task Force Website
The Save Our Stepney Task Force, Inc., is organized exclusively for charitable and educational purposes, more specifically to preserve and enhance the character of the village of Stepney, Connecticut, incorporated within the Town of Monroe. The Corporation’s scope of concern includes identifying, documenting, improving and/or preserving historic, cultural and natural properties and features of Stepney. Activities include public events, education, beautification and cultural enrichment. Community involvement and cooperation with other civic groups and the Town of Monroe are encouraged.
Meetings are held the THIRD WEDNESDAY of every month at 7:00pm in 707 on Main restaurant, on Main Street in Stepney. All are invited to attend to help maintain the quality of life for our beautiful and historic village of Stepney. Click on "Calendar" on the menu bar to view our monthly meeting dates.
Elected officers are:
- Joel Leneker, President
- Kathy Loehr, Vice President
- Dennis Shanchuk, Treasurer
- Evelyn Pravecek, Recording Secretary
- Louise Wishneski, Corresponding Secretary
- Lee Hossler, Membership Chairman & Fund Raising Chairman
Save Our Stepney Task Force has focused its efforts on raising awareness of our community heritage in cooperation with civic groups and the Town of Monroe. Our members have been involved in the following activities and sponsored events:
- Researched and designed the Stepney Heritage Trail
- Served on the Birdsey’s Plain / Stepney Historic District study committee
- Proposed and help draft the Town of Monroe Demolition Delay Ordinance
- Sponsors the Holiday Tree Lighting on the Stepney Green
- Created “Flags Over Stepney” – placing American flags on the Stepney Green in celebration of our patriotic holidays and in remembrance of 9/11
- Recipient of a Connecticut Humanities Council planning grant for research of the Stepney Heritage trail markers
- Supporting organization for the Monroe Scenic Road Ordinance
- Established a Sister City relationship with Stepney, England
- Watchdog organization for the development of Route 25
- Submitted a street Lighting Ordinance draft to the Town Council for consideration
- Sponsors the annual Veterans Day celebration on the Stepney Green
For more information about Save Our Stepney Task Force, call Joel Leneker at 203-375-0830.
You are welcome to browse our website where you are sure to find some very interesting information about Stepney, CT, from a history of Stepney to our photo gallery.